In a recent report on The Daily Show called "Punctuation Punditry", Jon Stewart observed the power of the question mark in contemporary political reporting. It affords the reporter a certain freedom. As Jon observed, "Yes, Fox has figured out that by simply putting a question mark at the end of something, you can say f**king anything!"
Let's take this idea out for a test drive and see how it handles...
- Does George W. Bush show signs of being a "dry drunk"?
- Did Dick Cheney shoot Harry Whittington during a lovers spat? (A nod to Jill Sobule on that one. Hear Robin Eaton sing her song about it here.)
- Does Alberto Gonzales embrace the philosophy of the Marquis de Sade?
- Are Republicans proud of the racist roots of their "Southern Strategy"?
I'm not saying any of this is true, I'm just asking questions. I have one more...
- Is Jon Stewart a freakin' genius?
Wait! I know the answer to that one!! YES!!!
Copyright © 2006